Monday, 14 November 2016

Padded Heart Christmas Wreath

At the Duxford Quilt Fair last month I spotted this beautiful silvery heart wreath and just had to make one, you know how it is when you get the wants!
The photo on the pack doesn't do the finished wreath justice.
The fabrics are silvery and shiny, with lots of sparkle. All the fabrics and the bling is included; 12 packs of decorations and beautiful silver cord to trim the hearts.
Included also is the 'invisible' thread for sewing on the decorations and cord, and even a needle and needle threader!
I've sewn together all the hearts.

I started with the top heart, no 12. I stuffed it and sewed on the cord.
Last of all I added the decorations. Here it is finished and secured onto the ring with two safety pins at the back.
Here are the first three finished and pinned in place. No.s 12, 11 and 10
I've stopped for a while now as I've been asked to make some boy rabbits. I do like to swap my attention regularly!
Have a good week,

Thursday, 10 November 2016

A Cushion for a Special Little Grandson

Having bought some new cupboards with shelves and drawers I had a delightful afternoon emptying storage boxes and the bonus was that I found the fat quarter of animals print I'd intended to make into a cushion, along with the backing fabric, piping cord and zip! It doesn't take much to make me happy!
Here is the result.
I hadn't put a zip and piping into a seam for a long time, that was a bit of a challenge but I'm really pleased with the result.

I'm about to start a padded heart Christmas wreath kit which I bought at the quilt fair. Lots of silvery fabrics and added bling!

Sunday, 6 November 2016

Pin Cushion Danger

I never used a pin cushion, I always used the pins straight from the tin. If I upset the tin and had a major spill over myself and the floor I would find the last few with the help of a magnet.
A few years ago I found a lovely pattern to make felt pin cushions and as usual I made lots.
I have only used one of them and after four years it had become rather full and I was sometimes stabbed when I picked it up so yesterday I sorted it out. I found all these pins.
And these.
A few big needles were also in there but when I squeezed it I found a few smaller needles embedded deep inside and a few more.......
I was stabbed several times as I squeezed and I thought I had them all until I dragged a magnet past the pin cushion and it moved. There were three more inside.
Altogether there were 27 needles!
This poor little pin cushion has served me well but I will not put a needle in it again unless it is threaded and easy to see!
Beware the hidden dangers of the pin cushion!!!

Tuesday, 1 November 2016

The Little Bat Man Cape Challenge!

Looking back to last year, I wrote about the Bat Man cape I mistakenly made for my little grandson when in actual fact he was asking me for a cape for his tiny Bat Man.
I'm pleased to say that after a few prompts from my grandson I did finally make a tiny one. This Bat Man is not your average Action Man size but a tiny, fiddly little one.
I made a pattern from kitchen roll and after a few fiddles I got it right.

The black fabric I have in my stash is limited, not a colour I like to use and I was just about to cut up a camisole when I discovered I had some knitted nylon iron-on stiffening; from where I don't know but it seemed right for the job as it drapes.
Using a knitted fabric was the best idea as it didn't need hemming which would be difficult at this scale and make the edges stiff.
I downloaded a Bat Man logo and cut it out onto some self adhesive yellow vinyl, another amazing find in the depths of my stash cupboard.
The hardest bit was sewing on the tiniest square of Velcro to the neck strap. I could see this being torn off in no time but luckily the neck hole is big enough to slip on and off without undoing it!
And here is Bat Man posing with his new cape.

I'm now sitting back smugly, wondering what my next challenge will be......!