Friday 27 November 2015

Jelly Roll Quilt

I can't resist Jelly rolls, the colours all blend together so beautifully, I find it hard to choose just one.
I recently had a day with my oldest friend (not in age but in years of knowing each other) and she took me to her local patchwork shop where I was in a frenzy -  deciding what to leave behind, I wanted it all!
I had bought a jelly roll previously from a shop near my sister to make my granddaughter a small quilt but the shop was very tiny and didn't have a great choice of other fabrics.
I'm drawn to fabric shops wherever I go and have got to know where they all are, so I now manage to buy fabric when visiting most of my friends and family!
My 'old friend' Maureen is a patchwork expert and even holds patchwork classes so I was in good hands as she helped me choose fabrics to go with the jelly roll.
This is the Moda Jelly Roll opened and in the process of being cut up!
Maureen recommended a book called Jelly Roll Sampler Quilts by Pam & Nicky Lintott which I bought on Amazon. Naturally I intend to make every quilt in the book but for starters I chose the Classic Sampler Quilt which I've been working on for a few weeks and have now pieced together all the squares and I'm working on the sashing. Hey listen to me, talking the talk!
I did make a mistake straight away with the first square and cut a  pair of triangles wrong as I turned the set square back to front so I moved on to the next square. Patchwork is just that, patches; so I was able to get around the problem with a bit of extra fabric left over at the end. There are several mistakes here and there but even I can't find them now. Maureen hasn't seen it yet though...........
Hopefully a photo of it next week.



No comments:

Post a Comment