Saturday, 9 January 2016

A New Seat Cushion for an Old Leather Chair

An old leather chair my youngest son was presented with was pretty much ok other than the seat cushion which was badly worn and torn.
Always up for an interesting challenge, I agreed to make a new cover.
I unpicked every bit of the old one and used it as a pattern to cut the new fabric.

 My son requested a tartan and I found the perfect fabric in Dunelm.
The leather was impossible to pin to the fabric for cutting so I used pieces of masking tape which worked very well.
After cutting I make the piping.
 Which I stiched to the top of the seat cover.
 Working carefully around the curves.

I placed a piece of wide, self sticking velcro to the centre of the underside to line up with an existing piece on the chair which stops the cushion slipping.
 I forgot to say that I ironed on some interfacing to the inside of the cushion cover to help prevent it stretching too much.
 I sewed in a zip to the top and bottom of the cover, at the back.
 I then completed the cushion cover by stiching everything together!
This is the finished underside.
 And this is the top.
And finally the new cushion on the chair! My son is very pleased, so I'm happy too.
I hope you're all going to have a very Happy and Healthy New Year - 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment