Tuesday 3 July 2018

Clothes for Dolls - The First Dress

Since I finished the last shawl, I have been a bit distracted by the heatwave we are having here!
Until the temperature drops, I shall have hands too clammy and brain to fuggy to concentrate on a cosy, warm shawl.

Thinking back to Christmas, a bit crazy in this heat, I know, but I had put an 18" doll on my wish list, just because I'm still a kid at heart and I love making clothes for dolls.

Christmas Day I was presented with Rose and I was so pleased but as I had some other projects started and I've been trying very hard to finish things, I put her in my queue to wait her turn!

After a couple of months, I started to be asked 'Have you made any clothes for your doll yet? And they kept asking, so despite having a work table covered in various works in progress, I spread to the dining table with fabric and sewing machine, as you do, and came up with this dress.
I had plans to make a matching hairband but time was getting on and I had to clear away all signs of having broken my self-discipline and spread to other rooms.
She will get a hairband and more clothes once I finish the new knitting project I've started and am really excited about!
I am making tiny things so can do them in the evenings as the temperature cools a bit. More about that another time.

Rose is very well made and a dream to fit as the clothes are not too tiny or fiddley, although they do take more fabric than I expected but then I'm used to making tiny miniatures that use just scraps.

A little tip I've found very helpful when sitting outside place both feet in a bowl of cold water. It cools the blood nicely!

Stay cool and carry on!


No comments:

Post a Comment